Salsomaggiore Terme is an internationally renowned spa town boasting the characteristic features of Liberty-Déco and located in the midst of a green oasis only half an hour from Parma and 100 kilometres from Milan. It is surrounded by rolling green hills and has many parks and gardens.
The town was formerly known as Salsomaiore, due to the specific presence of a thermal spring containing one of the highest saline levels, water from which was already being used in pre-Roman times. The urban and architectural structure of the town was defined in the early part of the 20th century, according to a typical plan of "water municipalities" at the time.
Salsomaggiore Terme is characterised by its unmistakeable Liberty style, which symbolised the social and cultural rise of the middle classes in the 20th century.
At the heart of the town is the Palazzo delle Terme Berzieri (palace of the Berzieri Thermal Baths), a symbolic monumental building that was opened in 1923 after almost ten years of work. It is a unique example of Art Déco begun by the architect Ugo Giusti in 1912 and dedicated to Doctor Lorenzo Berzieri.
The Liberty Style made its triumphant entry into our city in 1901, with the inauguration of the sumptuous Grand Hotel des Thermes, one year before it was officially consecrated during the International Exhibition of Decorative Arts in Turin. The project was commissioned by the Società Magnaghi and carried out by one of the most renowned Milanese architects, Luigi Broggi. He designed a 300-room hotel distributed over four floors and using the most advanced technological solutions in all its services, in the style of large European "Casas". It is worth noting that it was a courageous company and the fact that it entrusted the direction of the project to two major protagonists from the hotel business sector, such as Cesare Ritz and Baron Pfyffer, also meant a guarantee of attracting an elite and cosmopolitan clientele. Broggi was assisted by Gottardo Valentini and Alessandro Mazzucotelli in completing the hotel.
The Palazzina della Galleria Warowland is located next to the Palazzo delle Terme Berzieri. It was built in 1914 according to a design by the architect Orsino Bongi. The building displays its adherence to Lombard neomedievalism.
The Gabbia del Pozzo Scotti was positioned in 1912 as a cover for an artesian well that was drilled in 1864 containing water with bromide and iodide salts. The Liberty Style project was the work of the architect Giuseppe Boni, who was commissioned by the Società G. Dalla Rosa, G. Corazza e C. It has a concrete foundation supporting a wrought iron and glass structure, with interwoven branches and leaves around each side. The well is located in front of the Palazzo delle Terme Berzieri
The Berardinelli staircase was built and donated to the town of Salsomaggiore Terme by Aurelio Berardinelli in 1910. The wide staircase is perhaps one of the most important monuments in the spa town.